After almost two years of marriage we’re still pretty new to the game but I can say that one of the hardest parts of being married can be understanding how to make your spouse feel special and appreciated. This only becomes harder when you add kids into the mix. We all know that in order to have a happy and satisfying relationship both partners need to feel loved, but sometimes life just gets in the way. To make things worse, men aren’t always the greatest at expressing their emotions and women aren’t always great at understanding what men actually want (and surprise! It’s not just sex all the time). It is super important to make sure your man feels loved, needed, and wanted so here are 7 easy ways to spoil your husband.
- Make his favorite home cooked meal. This is something that can either be really simple or really difficult. Maybe his favorite food is something you’re not great at making, or maybe you’re like me and really hate cooking. Regardless of whether you’re a pro or avoid your oven like you would the plague, guys love food and he’ll appreciate that you went out of your way to make something you know he’d want.
- Let him have a night at home alone. This is especially nice when you’ve got kids and busy schedules. Give him a break from the demands of parenting, leave him some leftovers (or order him a pizza on your way out), and tell him to have fun playing his video games or watching all the tv shows you don’t like watching or whatever he wants to do!
- Tell him how much you love and need him. One of the easiest things we can do is tell our husbands how much we love them and how great it is that they’re in our lives but sometimes it’s so easy that it just gets overlooked. So snuggle up and tell him. He needs to hear it and you need to say it.
- Watch the thing he wants to watch. Husbands and wives usually have different interests. Sometimes these differing interests include certain TV shows, movies, or sporting events. Show him that his interests are important to you and let him watch it. Even if it’s stupid, even if it’s the same night as the Bachelor, even if you’re so sick of watching football you could cry. Oh and extra points if you sit and watch it with him.
- Take him out on a special date night and do things he wants to do. When we go out for a date night usually it’s me that decides if it’s something we can do or not. And my ideas of a special date usually aren’t quite the same as my husband’s. So instead of thinking about what you would like to do, try to think about what he would like to do. Even if it’s not something you’re interested in at all.
- Surprise him with something he wants but wouldn’t get for himself. Some guys like books. Some guys like video games. Some guys like shoes. Some guys like hunting gear. Whatever it is that he’s been eyeing, surprise him with it. And don’t make it a big deal or turn it into well I got you this, so you need to do xyz. Just give him a thoughtful gift- no strings attached.
- Sexy time. I had to put it on the list because most guys really love it and enjoy the physical intimacy that comes with it. Guys want to feel wanted, too. Slip into that thing that you feel a little silly for wearing, give him one hundred percent of your attention, and make him feel wanted. A little lovin’ goes a long way.
And whatever you do remember to do it without complaining or nagging or whining! Our poor husband’s deal with our drama enough (seriously though, thanks guys).